I have been reviewing the 7 Habits of Highly Effective People by Stephen Covey. After reading a few chapters I stumbled upon something that intrigued me and I simply wonder what our clients and friends of our blog think about family mission statements.
I really think a family mission statement is a little bit too much; I mean it’s kind of silly to think about your family in this way….But then I considered my own mission statement for life…and realized how much a family mission statement can bring your loved ones together and how this idea can bring about success within your family. The journey can be tough if don’t know where you are going and it’s important to have the right people on the bus, including your insurance agent.
Read Stephen Covey’s blog post and consider the following:
- Does your current plan for insurance protection include a comprehensive family insurance plan?
- What do you want coverage for? Do you even know anything about insurance… do you want an independent insurance agent to help you plan, or a big box franchise insurance company, maybe you want a web based company? Which option meets your family’s needs and mission?
- Have you quoted higher auto liability limits…for example in lieu of $300,000 liability limits; we recently quoted a couple at $500,000. The extra cost was only $15 a year.
- Have you really thought about your assets and how much liability coverage you need? Do you have enough? Did you know that an extra umbrella limit of $1 million usually only cost $100 to $200 a year.
- Have you thought about your deductible limits? What if you raised or lowered your home and auto deductible. Where is the most bang for your buck? Some people assume a $1,000 deductible is saving them a ton of money..have you really looked?
- Do you want to cover jewelry, wedding rings, family heirlooms, watches, silverware, firearms, pieces of art, or antiques, etc..? Do you have these things covered? Does your current policy include this stuff?
- Do you work from your home; do you have business coverage while at home?
- Do you want identity theft coverage, which will cover repair of your family’s costs and time to fix their credit history?
- What about Flood or Earthquake policies? Did you know homeowner’s policies do not cover those natural disasters?
- Do you or your spouse have life insurance? Have you thought about cost saving ways to insure your children?
These are just a few examples of what we do, but they are also a look into the makeup of how you and your family live life. They capture the true meaning of a family mission statement. Where does your compass point, what are you prepared for, is your family prepared to bounce back from possible loss? Your insurance agent is a large part of who you are. At the end of the day, your insurance agency relationship should give you peace of mind. We are in a strange industry full of negative connotations and hard sells. The reality is……this industry is full of people who want you to succeed. We encourage you to review your family mission statement and ask questions, then find insurance solutions to help you accomplish your goals.