Close this search box.

Youth Camp Owner’s Insurance “Packing List”

Spring is here, and the summer season is right around the corner. Many parents are busy making decisions about whether or not their children will be attending a summer camp this year – if they’re not already putting the final touches on each child’s packing list. Even our local Knoxville News Sentinel recently published “Summer Camps Guide 2019: How to keep kids busy in Knoxville.”

If you are having trouble viewing the video, you can see it here.

There is definitely much to consider, but today we want to examine the other side of the coin: a youth camp owner’s insurance “packing list.”

Overnight and Day Camps by the Numbers

While parents/guardians have many questions – maybe even 102 – about choosing a summer camp program, examining overnight and day camps by the numbers may surprise many. Summer camps are a staple of American life dating back to the late 1800s, but as MARKETPLACE explained in July 2017 “Summer camp has grown into a very big business.” Consider the following National Data and Statistics projected by survey results collected by the American Camp Association (ACA).

• Camp is an $18 billion industry. (2015 ACA Business Operations Report)

• More than 14,000 day and resident camps exist in the U.S. 8,400 are resident (overnight) and 5,600 are day camps. (2017 ACA Sites, Facilities, Programs Report)

• Each year more than 14 million children and adults attend camp in the U.S. (2013 ACA Camp Compensation and Benefits Report)

• Camps employ more than 1.5 million camp staff to work in various camp positions. (2016 ACA Camp Compensation and Benefits Report)

If these statistics sparked your attention, then you may want to review more specific ACA Camp Data and Statistics here.

Camp Owners: What’s on Your Insurance “Packing List?”

Youth camp owners’ insurance needs go beyond basic business general liability coverage. Our John Bailey Company expert staff has created a program dedicated to insuring Youth Camps and Church camps. Our insurance agency program includes an “A+” AM Best Rated insurance carrier, with experience know-how to provide protection in the event of a loss. What special types of coverage should Youth Camp owners consider?

Common types of business insurance policies that all youth camp owners should examine include: general liability, property insurance, business owner, directors and officers, commercial auto, workers’ compensation, umbrella, and professional liability. Under some circumstances one might need to consider special event insurance, cyber liability insurance, or even liquor liability insurance.

Additionally, camp owners will likely want to protect both the campers and staff with accident medical insurance. This is an important coverage type that camp owners should review with their insurance agent. Inquire about deductibles, dental injuries and accidental death. Particular contact sports like wrestling, snowboarding, snow skiing, ice hockey, football, or scuba diving will likely require separate policies.

Youth Camps Help Insure a Great Life

Youth camps offer amazing experiences for the children, the staff, and the owners. The owners can insure great experiences by staying informed and assessing their insurance needs with their agent on an annual or bi-annual basis. Be aware that many insurance companies may require a safety audit prior to issuing or renewing policies, and that we always recommend consulting with one of our representatives before making choices about which insurance is the right choice for you.

At the John Bailey Company we continue to expand our expertise, and diversity is our niche. We understand different business and personal exposures which allows us to create specialty insurance solutions. Contact us today to learn how we can outfit you with the best insurance for your unique needs.

Question or Comment?

Got a question or a comment? Drop us a line, and we’ll get back with you shortly. Dial (865) 524-0785, or use this form: